June 21, 2013

A Layman's Guide to Home Decorating... or whatever. pt.1 Be Ruthless.

I don't know what in the hell I'm doing when it comes to home decorating.  Nope. Nada. No training. Nothing. I mean I LOVE it.  I LOVE colour.  I love proportion, and pattern, and texture, and organization.  But I don't know what I'm doing in any way that qualifies me to tell anyone else what to do.  I've learned some pretty smart stuff over the last 7 years of home ownership, though, and I keep hearing "HELP ME!  You have to come do my house!  I don't know where to start!" so maybe I can at least share the good bits that have come my way.

Without further adieu, here's Part 1 of my Layman's Guide to Home Decorating... or whatever

BE RUTHLESS

If we're friends you've heard me say this countless times, but my number one piece of advice, that I will stand by FOREVER is to be ruthless when clearing out your house.  Before you make any plans to decorate, before you buy a bloody thing, before you hire anyone, or pick out paint samples, clear that mofo OUT.  NOW.  Don't wait.  It can seem daunting.  I know.  But we're talking a one day job that will make the entire rest of the process, not to mention the upkeep on your home, and your own level of sanity, MUCH easier.

K, what do I mean?  "How do I do that? Where do I start?"  First off, breathe.  Second, it's cool, I'm giving you a fool-proof guide.

STEP 1:
Pick a room.  Just one.  Stick to it.  Do not move on to another project until that room is done. Don't get distracted by other projects.

STEP 2:
Get yourself a bunch of garbage bags, recycling bags, baskets, and boxes.

STEP 3:
We're going to do this like we're in your livingroom.  So first thing: take EVERYTHING that is on a surface (coffee table, end table, book shelf, walls, you name it) and put it on a pile in the middle of the floor (or on a table or whatever). No, I'm not kidding.  Do it.
 
 My livingroom.  Still comfy and chock full of things I love, like the vintage books, the ceramic bird, that beautiful painting, but NO clutter.  No tckotckes that I don't care about, nothing that bugs me to look at it, no clutter.  Consider this me putting my money where my mouth is.

STEP 4:
Pick out the stuff you LOVE.  ONLY the things you LOVE.  Like the stuff you'd save in a fire.  Clean these items off if they need it, and set aside in a box, basket, whatever.

STEP 5:
Pick out all "practical" items: remotes, maybe a couple of blankets or cushions, and well... that's probably it.  Seriously, it's your livingroom.  What else do you need in there.  Same deal, clean them off and set them aside.
 
STEP 6:
Pick out anything that you would be ok with garage saleing or otherwise selling (it doesn't matter if you have the time to do it, at this point).  

STEP 7:
Pick out anything that can be garbaged or recycled.  IMMEDIATELY bag it up and put it outside.  Don't talk yourself out of something.  If there's ANY chance that you thought it belonged in that bag?  It did.

STEP 8:
Anything that should be left is the stuff that most people have the most trouble with.  Go over it again with the idea of "Save in a Fire", sell/donate, or garbage in mind.  You should only have to do this once.  If you overthink it, you're likely to end up keeping way more that you should.  Ok, take what's left, clean it off and set it in a bin.


And look at that!  You're done!  Don't worry, I know it looks empty.  Here's the important part: give yourself some time.  Don't panic and fill it back up.  Give yourself at LEAST a week, better yet a month.  Give yourself time to enjoy only having things you LOVE around you.  Yes, it can seem empty, but at the very least it's a great exercise you get to prioritize what you even like!  Now take out the garbage, and immediately sell the items in your "sell" pile.  If they can't be sold, donate them.  Don't panic that you're "losing money" by donating them.  Having things around you that you don't like, that take away  from the value of your home cost you much more in the long run than the $5 you MIGHT have gotten if you'd held out.  Take the time to enjoy how much easier it is to keep shelves and tables and walls clean when you don't have to dust around everything or move everything.  It's a brave new world. 



At the end of that period, grab the "no man's land" bin.  Take a QUICK peek.  Anything you love/miss?  Grab it and stick it on the shelf.  Can anything else be used in another room?  Yes?  Put it in that room RIGHT NOW.  No?  Immediately donated.  I mean, in the bag, in the car right now.  Now all you've got in that room is stuff you love, it's easier to keep clean and tidy, and you can actually get an idea of where to go from here.  I'm proud of you!

Got questions or want something clarified??  Let me know in the comments!  Don't be shy.

Leah


No comments:

Post a Comment