July 10, 2013

the little things: broom storage

A girlfriend and I were just talking about how "modern" (and I use that term verrrrry loosely) don't ever seem to have a dedicated spot for a broom, mop, vacuum, etc.  Why is that?  Seriously?!  I'm sure MOST of use would kill to have just a little cabinet, like 12, maybe 18", to house those items right in the kitchen where they're most likely to be used. But nooooo.   We've all got completely useless cabinets above our fridges, but a useful cabinet is too much to ask for.  I'm willing to keep the mop and the vacuum a little out of the way, but I use the broom at LEAST a half dozen times a day: it needed to have a home in my kitchen. 

I have no idea how I thought this up, but it occurred to me that I could buy myself an inch or two if I scootched my fridge to the right.  JUST an inch or two, but that was all I needed.  So scootch-scootch, bought myself two inches and the broom slides in neatly next to the fridge, with the dust pan tucked right above.  They pretty much blend in (probably more if they weren't, you know, cherry red), they're within arm's reach, and I didn't have to change anything to get them that way.  You never know, maybe you can buy yourself some room there, too.  And hey, if you do end up storing something there, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment